Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 4 - What Can I Pitch besides the Tent To Make these Panniers Lighter???????

June 24
Mineral, VA to Charlotesville, VA
59 miles

This was my (Kath’s) main query for the day while riding through the most bucolic scenery. Yes, except for those pesky conservative laws, I could be a Virginian. Bucolic – landscape so beautiful it almost makes you a little ill. Oh, I forgot – riding through ROLLING countryside. Is it possible to ride slower than 4 miles an hour and stay upright? Yes, you can! Slower than a Virginia turtle, which happen to dot the roadside. Some are raised dots, some are (sadly) flat dots. But the real reason for mentioning turtles is that Mary Lou has threatened that if I don’t quit helping the lil’ snappers cross the road, we’ll never make it out of the state. So I leave it to PETA to take up the cause. Oh wait, they’re too busy going after fly swatters.

Today we rode by more history and gave it a friendly wave. James Monroe’s estate- an awesome tree-lined driveway winding up a big hill. Sorry James. We really gave Monticello an honest effort, but ,no, we weren’t allowed to ride our bikes up to old Jefferson’s front porch. I think if you extend his politics to present day, he’d have supported our biking initiative. However, our initiative was mos’ def’ not supported by the frantic volunteer calling after us, “Maam’, Maam’, ya’ll may not ride up there!!”

Oh well. So we rode on into lovely Charlottesville. Fabulous commercial pedestrian walkway. Large scale photography exhibit hanging from the trees, cool restaurants, book stores, interesting architecture. A happening spot. Visions of a warm summer eve sipping wine as vibrant nightlife flowed around us, floated away as we rode further and further from the historic downtown to our comfy, but uncoolly situated hotel. Not even a crisp glass of Pinot Grigio and an excellent wood-fired pizza could lure us back through hilly Charlottesville. Our quads are on fire! But we’re having FUN!

Tomorrow, first stop – FedEx.





5 comments:

  1. Hi you two,
    We've been enjoying your very amusing blogs and wish we could be out there with you (well, WE do, anyway). Now you may know why I loved Va. so much. We're back home - glad to see Gus and Hammy. Had fun back east despite the stinky weather. Beth's house is going to be stunning, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi twosies,

    Well you didn't quite describe the rash(es) so I hope they are apassin' by fast as can be.

    And the days descriptions + photos are a real delight.

    You're making me a bit (tiny, tiny) homesick for my part of the east coast. Good thing you aren't going through hilly, hilly West Virginia. I hate to think of the thighs. . .

    I called and left a message in case you didn't get it an want to hear a voice. . . .

    I continue to be a wee bit jealous and can only hope that I can catch you. Keep riding fast so we can ride together.

    Lots of love and a kiss to your burning legs!
    Carolini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Girlies,
    I'm going to try this again - I've tried to comment a few times now and written long, witty responses only to have them go away because I've done something wrong - if this works, I will write back to dazzle you with my fabulous comments!
    Love to you both!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh happy day!!! My responses will be for all to see!!! One thing I did ask you in one of my more lengthy narratives was if you have post office stations that you will be checking for encouraging and tasteless cards from your sister/in-law? Nothing like a totally inappropriate card to keep the legs a pumpin'!
    How's W.Virginia? You look like you are going through gorgeous country...Has that continued to be so? You both are doing something so cool and wonderful and though I was loathe to give up a summer with you, it's amazing what you are doing! Go Girlies!!!! Following this blog is fun too!
    I must away but will be looking for another post soon or I will be forced to call and pester you...
    Beth aka Charter Member of your Fanclub

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cousin Darren shared this with me (a co-worker) and it is wonderful!! I'm am so in awe of your trip and pictures (they are beautiful!) and love reading about your adventures. Thanks for sharing Darren and good luck girls! I look forward to following more... Shelli Woodworth

    ReplyDelete